- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ lb. fermented soybean cake
(tempe), sliced 2 inches long and ½ inches thick
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 hot red chilies, seeded and sliced
- ¼ tsp. shrimp paste (terasi)
- ¼ cup chopped ripe tomato
- Mix together the garlic and salt,
rub this all over the fermented soybean cake. Set it aside for about 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a wok or skillet,
fry the fermented soybean cake over medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until browned, and
transfer to a platter.
- In a food processor or a mortar,
blend the chilies, shrimp paste and tomato to form a paste. Serve the fried fermented
soybean cakes with the paste.
Makes 5 servings.