Fried Soybean Curd
- ¼ lb. green beans, cut diagonally
- 4 firm soybean curd squares
- ¼ cup vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 fresh red holt chilies, sliced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. sweet soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- Blanch the green beans on boiling
water for 5 minutes, drain.
- Cut the bean curd into slices 1-inch
long and ¼-inch thick. Drain the slices on paper towels, patting them dry. Heat the oil
in a wok or deep skillet and fry the slices over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until light
brown. Remove and set aside. Remove all but 1 Tbs. oil in the wok.
- In a food processor or a mortar,
blend the shallots, garlic, chilies and salt to form a paste. Heat the oil in the wok and
stir-fry the paste over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the green beans and bean
curd, sweet soy sauce, and tomato paste. Stir-fry the mixture for 3 minutes. Serve warm
Makes 4 servings.