Sticky Rice Cake in
Brown Sugar Sauce
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ tsp. salt
To make Rice Cake:
- Place rice flour and tapioca starch
in a deep mixing bowl and make a well in the center.
- Add water and salt, mix well and
knead dough until it can be rolled and shaped. Dough should not be to dry.
- Roll small rice cakes ½-inch in
diameter. Cut diagonally 1-inch in length.
- Bring 8 cups of water to a oil. Put
it the rice cakes, bring back to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and set the rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup palm sugar syrup
- 1 pandan leaf
- Pinch of salt
make the sauce:
- Combine water, coconut milk, palm
sugar, pandan leaf, and a pinch of salt in a small stockpot. Bring to a boil.
- Add rice cakes and simmer for 20
- Cool and serve at room temperature,
topped with a tablespoon of fresh grated coconut.
When preparing the rice cakes, use the amount of water given in the recipe only as a
guideline; the quality of flour varies greatly and affects the amount of liquid it
absorbs. Add sufficient water to result in a soft, smooth dough. If the rice cakes are dry
when shaped, they will be very tough after cooking.
Makes 3 servings.