- 1¼ lb. boneless lamb leg or
shoulder, cut in ¾-inch cubes.
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 1 cup basic paste
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 Tbs. distilled white vinegar
- 12 whole cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 1½ cup water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Bring 12 cups of water to a boil in
a large stockpot. Add lamb cubes, cook for 5 minutes, then pour off the water.
- Heat oil, add the spice paste and
coriander and fry for 2 minutes over medium heat. Add lamb, vinegar, cardamom, lemongrass
and 1½ cup water. Bring to a boil and simmer until three-quarters cooked.
- Add coconut milk, bring back to a
boil and simmer, uncovered, until meat is tender. Should the sauce reduce to much, add a
little chicken stock The sauce should be creamy in consistency.
- Serve with steamed rice, fried
shallots, lemon slices and sliced celery.
Note: The lamb can be replaced by
either beef or chicken.