(Ayam Goreng Lengkuas)
- 1 whole chicken, cut up into 8
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 2 salam/bay leaves
- 4 Tbs. grated galangal
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 small shallots
- 3 candlenuts
- 1 tsp. tamarind
- 2 tsp. fresh grated turmeric
- salt and sugar to taste
- Marinade the chicken pieces with the
spice paste. Set it aside for 15-20 minutes so that the chicken absorb the spice
- In a wok, mix the chicken pieces
with salam leaves and lemongrass. Cook it with low heat and cover the wok until the
chicken is half done. If needed, add a little water. Remove the chicken.
- Heat lots of oil with medium high
temperature for deep frying. Deep fry the chicken pieces until the chicken become
brownish. Drain and remove.
- Serve it with the fried grated
galangal on top of it.
Makes 3-4 servings.