- One 3½-pound chicken, cut into
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup sliced shallots
- 3 candlenuts, crushed
- 1 fresh red hot chili, sliced
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tamarind, dissolved in
2 tablespoons water
- 1 piece of laos (galanggal)
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- ½ cup peanut or corn or vegetable
- Rub the chicken with 1 teaspoon of
the salt and the lemon juice. Let it stand for half an hour; then rinse under cold water.
- In the blender or a mortar, blend a
sauce of the shallots, candlenuts, the remaining 2 teaspoons salt, the chili, coriander,
turmeric and water.
- Prepare a large stockpot and put the
chicken pieces in this pot.
- Pour this over the chicken pieces in
the stockpot, and add the tamarind liquid, laos and lemongrass. Cook over medium heat for
twenty minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove the stockpot from the stove
- Heat the oil with medium high heat,
and fry the chicken for about five minutes, or until it turns crispy brown. Remove, and
drain on paper towels. Ready to serve.
Makes 6 servings, with other