(Nasi Ayam Nanas)
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. boneless chicken, cut in ½-inch
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
(long-grain rice), washed and drained
- ½ small pineapple, peeled and sliced
and cut in small pieces
- 3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½-inch ginger root, peeled and
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- ½ tsp. white peppercorns
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- a little freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 inches cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 cloves
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- Blend all seasoning ingredients except
cloves and lemongrass with a mortar and a pestle or a food processor to form a paste.
- Heat oil in a wok or heavy saucepan
over medium high heat and then add blended seasonings and the rest of the seasonings
ingredients and stir fry it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and continue stir
frying for about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and salt and simmer
until the chicken is tender. Strain the stock and set aside the chicken pieces.
- Place rice in a rice cooker or heavy
stockpot, add 2½ cups of the reserved chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and simmer until the
rice is almost cooked and the liquid absorbed.
- Add the diced chicken and cook over
low heat until the rice is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve on a platter garnished with
fried shallots and pineapple pieces.
Makes 2-4 servings.