- 1 whole duck, about 4½ lbs.
- 18 shallots, peeled, cut in half and
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, halved and
- 3 stalks lemongrass, finely sliced
- 5 fragrant lime leaves, finely
- 6 candlenuts, chopped
- 2 inches ginger root, peeled and
- 3 inches fresh turmeric, peeled and
- 3 inches kencur root, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns, crushed
- 5 bird's-eye chilies, sliced
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp. dried shrimp paste, roasted and coarsely crushed
- 1½ Tbs. salt
- 3 Tbs. oil
- Banana leaves, parchment paper or
aluminum foil for wrapping
- Wipe the duck dry and set aside.
Combine all the remaining ingredients, except banana leaves, in a bowl and mix well.
- Rub the duck outside with this
mixture and fill the center of the duck with the remainder.
- Close the openings of the duck with
- Wrap in several layers of banana
leaves parchment paper or foil and steam for 50 minutes.
- Transfer duck to a moderate oven and
bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.
- Remove banana leaves, cut duck meat
up in small pieces and serve with stuffing.
- When cooked, the meat should be so
tender that it falls off the bones.
Note: The flavor of this excellent
duck will be even better if the final roasting is done over a slow charcoal fire rather
than in the oven; be sure to turn the duck several times if cooking over charcoal.
Make 4-6 servings.