- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili, soaked
in 2 teaspoons water
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon tamarind, dissolved in I
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon shrimp (sauce) paste
- 6 kemiri nuts, crushed
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 salam leaf
- 1 piece of laos
- banana leaves
- Crush the garlic, onion, salt,
chili, coriander, tamarind liquid, sugar, shrimp paste and kemiri in a blender or mortar.
Mix the spice paste with the whole shrimp, salam and laos. Make a loaf-shaped mound of the
mixture on a piece of banana leaf, and wrap it securely, making sure the ends are sealed.
- Bake the foil loaf in a 425-degree
oven for twenty minutes, or place the package under the broiler for the same length
oftime. Turn it over after ten minutes to cook the shrimp evenly. At the end of this step,
open the center of the leaf loaf 2 inches, and place it under tile broiler for five
minutes to form a brown crust.
Make 6 servings, with other dishes.