Steamed Fish In Hot
(Ikan Kukus Bumbu Cabai)
- 1 whole fish (about 500 g ) pomfret,
sea perch or other firm fleshed non-oily fish
- 1 tsp. tamarind
- 1 salam leaf
- 1 stalk lemon grass, bruised
- 30 basil leaves
- Banana leaves or substitute foil
- 100 g ground red chili
- 10 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 candlenuts
- 2 cm fresh ginger
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Clean and scale the fish. Make
several incisions on each side of the fish. Rub the fish with the tamarind and salt.
Let it stand for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to be absorbed.
- Mix the spice-paste with the salam
leaf, lemon grass and the basil leaves. Add salt to taste.
- Coat fish generously with the spice
mixture. Wrap in banana leaves and secure the ends.
- Steam until done, approximately 60
Make 3-4 servings.