Steamed Fish Roe
(Pepes Telor Ikan)
- 1 pound fish roe (sea bass,
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 green semihot chilies, sliced thin
- 3 kemiri nuts, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon tamarind, dissolved in 2
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 salam leaf, broken into several
- 2 pieces of laos
- ¼ teaspoon shrimp (sauce) paste
- Two 12-inch squares of banana leaves
- Mix all tlhe ingredients together.
- Divide the mixture in half. Place
one half on one of the leaf squares, roll it up and seal the ends to form a sausage shape.
Do the same with the other half.
- Steam the packages over hot water in
a Chinese-style steamer for thirty minutes. Unroll the leaf, and serve hot.
Make 6 servings, with other dishes.