- 300 gram tempe (fermented soybean
cake) - not tofu, sliced in 5x5x2 cm squares
- vegetable oil
- 500 ml thin coconut milk and 250 ml
thick coconut milk from 1 coconut
- 6 green chilies, sliced in 2 cm
lengths and seeded
Spice Paste Ingredients:
- 5 red chilies
- 8 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp. terasi (shrimp paste)
- 1 cm fresh turmeric
- 1 cm fresh ginger
- 1 thin fresh galangal (lengkuas)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp. palm sugar or brown sugar
- Fry the tempe until it is half done.
- Fry the spice-paste until it is
fragrant; add the thin coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the green chilies and the
tempe. Continue cooking and after 5 minutes add the thick coconut milk. Lower
the heat and simmer until sauce turns oily. Remove and serve.
Makes 4-5 servings.